Saturday, March 19, 2011

Piling wood.

{Post 77/365: Original Post: FEEL ME}
This week my mom & pop (step-father) are working on getting their wood for the wood stove which is their main source of heat for the year, chopped and piled.
So this weekend we went over for a little bit of time both Fri and Sat to help them. Pop cut up chunks off the logs with his chain saw, I moved them over to a smile pile in between them so they could reach them for splitting easier, and hubby and pop each took an axe and chopped up the chunks into smaller bits for the woodpile. Then mom, Gib and I would pick up the small pieces and throw them onto the one big pile. Mom & pop will move all those with the truck or van later in the fall.
It's a lot of work! 
It brings to mind a time long ago when I was a kid and almost the whole family was over to my nanny and grandpa's to help them pile their woodpile for winter.  Grandpa and some of my uncles had done the chopping and big pile process off in the woods and we were transporting it all by truck from the pile in the bush to the pile in grandpa's yard. My cousins and I were all helping and back then it seemed like a lot of fun as I recall.
Looking back at it now I still remember it as fun.  I never minded piling wood and it seems that it was WORK but it was more fun because so many of us were doing it together and helping each other that it was fast and furious and finished in no time!
I enjoyed working with my family back then and I honestly (aside from the cold wind freezing me) didn't mind helping mom & pop this time either. I know times have changed and I am not doing the work I could so many years ago but, I still don't mind sharing the burden and doing what little bit I can to make it an easier and lighter job for my folks.  I love them you know and I know they appreciate the help! ;

No comments:

Post a Comment