Thursday, March 17, 2011

Patience

{Post 74/365: Original Post: FEEL ME}
If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees.
-   Hal Borland


WOW! I had forgotten.
When I was a child I spent more time in the forest than anywhere else.  I fell in love with trees.
I fell in love with the sound, smell and feel of the woods.
Now, in this digital plugged in world, I have forgotten the whisper of trees. Leaves dancing in the breeze, the creaking and groaning of trunks, roots digging deep into the earth.  More important than the sound is the feel.  I have forgotten that time has little meaning in a forest. It slows and becomes almost imperceptible. When you sit quiet in the forest you can feel your body slow to the pace and energy of the trees. You want to rest.  You want to stay.  You feel at peace. You can lose track of the time. You want to breath in the air.  You want to drink in the essence and recharge in renewal. 
Seasons transition and pass on as trees stand. Silent sentinels of time. I've often wondered what it would be like to have a conversation with a tree.  Oh, the many wonders they must have seen through this passage of time.  So many things they must have felt from the earth to the air above. So many beautiful truths they must KNOW. Not the least of which would be PATIENCE. That is something I need to learn more of! Maybe someday soon I will take the time to sit again and listen to the trees. Perhaps on the whisper of the breeze I'll hear words of wisdom, and remember a little better what it is to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment