Monday, February 7, 2011

WHY I got my first tattoo...

{Post 38/365: Original Post: WickedSweet}
I thought about it for a very long time.
My mother hates them. She thinks women with tattoos are some kind of 'BAD' thing.
Apparently some boys ALSO think that because when the meet me they expect me to be some wild and crazy type of girl. I'm quite happy to disappoint them because I am NOT! I'm just a creative person with an artistic spirit and an open heart and mind.
Well, I know sometimes I can be closed but, I digress.
Hubby and I talked about it and decided we'd both get tattoos.
I wanted my second tattoo first but, I had never had a tattoo, I didn't know the tattoo guy and I needed to see his work and know if I'd be comfortable with him. So I looked for a design that I could live with and would never be sick of.
This had to be a unicorn because I have long, long been in love with them.
Beautiful, graceful, magical, wonderful and the epitome of faith.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

I don't have to see or touch a unicorn to believe in it's magic, to believe in it's beauty and purity and being. Just as, I don't have to see or touch God to know he exists or feel him in my heart. In my heart and my soul, i just KNOW HE exists and loves me.
That is FAITH. That is the hope for things I can't see but can KNOW with more than my hands and mind and eyes.
That is what my first tattoo means.
It is as much a part of my inner being as it is now a part of my outer being.





It is just a simple outline in shades of my fave colours...purples, blues and greens and every time I look at it I STILL feel ecstatically happy about it.
It is a deep expression and piece of my soul I carry around with me, visible on my skin.
Getting a tattoo isn't for everyone but, to me is a perfect way for a SHY but artistic and creative soul to share something about themselves openly and easily.
I have found that tattoos are a beautiful ice breaker! ;) Even people who don't understand WHY you wanted one, or WHY you went and got one permanently attached to your skin, will STILL try to understand what it means to you. ;)
It opens the door to many wonderful and deep conversations and since that is something else I truly enjoy I am VERY glad I got my first ( and far from last ) tattoo. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment