Monday, January 3, 2011

Poets I Admire

{Post 3/365: Original Post: Reading, Writing and Rocking MY World}

I am thinking about the poets I have read through the years and enjoyed. 
I am a poet and I have always been inspired by others.
I think I never would have found a way through the sad parts of my life if I hadn't had words to use to express my hurt and  my desire.
I have found that I like love poems.  I have also found that I enjoy an epic poem with a long story.  I enjoy the flow.
I even enjoy a funny poem now and then! 
While I enjoy many and a variety there are only a few whose words have touched me deeply and stayed with me a long time.
I admire them.
I appreciate their voices.
They have inspired me at many different times over the years but I always return to them because they lift my spirits and express my thoughts, hope , heart and more.
Sometimes it is only that they have entertained me but usually it is because something they have said has touched me deep inside my own soul.
Maybe woken me up to something I hadn't known before or understood.
I have decided that I'm going to share my favourite poets and the poems that I carry with me, that have touched me and stayed in my heart. 
Something beautiful is only more beautiful when it is shared.
So I will share my faves with you.
I will share the poems by Robert Frost, Kahlil Gibran, Elizabeth Barret Browning, William Allen Dromgoole, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and others.
If their voices helped make my life easier then maybe they'll do the same for you.

So today I leave you with the ONE poem that I have never forgotten and always believed states perfectly our PURPOSE in life!

The Bridge Builder, William Allen Dromgoole
An old man, going a lone highway,
Came at the evening, cold and gray,
To a chasm, vast and deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim;
The sullen stream had no fears for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side
And built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting strength with building here;
Your journey will end with the ending day;
You never again must pass this way;
You have crossed the chasm, deep and wide— 
Why build you the bridge at the eventide?"

The builder lifted his old gray head:
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building the bridge for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment