Saturday, June 9, 2012

Oliver & Vincenzo

{Post: 161/365}
yesterday
and again today
we saw two 
beautiful kittens
at the pet store
(shelter cats)

they looked
just like
Oliver
and
Vincenzo
both lost to us now

Oliver
was also a shelter cat
we CHOSE
and loved
for a SHORT time
he was ill

he was 
the sweetest boy
for seven weeks
he cuddled
and loved
and was loved so much

he'd wait at the door
for me to come home
when I sat
he became
my warm ollar collar
(sleeping on the back of my neck)

he was the sweetest boy
and even Pester
our big kitty
who didn't like anybody
was sweet to Ollie 
and played with him

until the day or two before
when he went the long way around
to stay far and clear
and looking back
we could see
that he knew

Oliver was sick
and while he didn't get to stay
he did have the benefit
of all our love
for his last days
and we do not regret

he was precious to me for more
than just being a new kitten
he was a symbol
of something I believed
he was a living, breathing testament
to a story 

a story
that lives and breathes
inside of me
when we chose him
I knew I would call him
Oliver

and when the lady at the shelter
said he had a name 
but we could change it
if we wanted to
we asked his name...
it was OLIVER

how strange the world
that leads you 
in small ways
with small touches
to the open doorway
of your destiny

if only 
you will open your eyes and see!
there is a kitten
in my mind's eye
and he belongs in a story
I will write

his name
was
is
and always will be
OLIVER
is this NOT a sign?

after he was lost to us
we went to the pet store
and found
Vincenzo
who looked very much the same
but his personality was not

he was feisty
and fun
he liked to climb
on the top of my son's toy castle wall
so i giggled and called him
Vinnie, the KING of the castle

and then one day
he snuck out of the house
and didn't come back home
we were sad
and missed them both
but life goes on

what Ollie meant to me
is deeper
than a kitten we only cherished
for seven weeks
he is a symbol
of a direction I was meant to take

because it matters
so much to me
I had his name tattooed
on the back of my neck
to remind me...to remind me
have faith in your dreams

it has taken me 
such a long time
but today
and yesterday
I was nudged and reminded
to follow my dreams

and I hope once and for all
that I will find
the courage I need
to do that...to dream
and to chase them 
till I can't chase them anymore



Oliver




No comments:

Post a Comment